Skip to main content

Fresh Tracks

 


Welcome back! My last post marked the end of sabbatical life and the official kickoff to the next big milestones in my journey.  And what a journey it's been!

Why 'Fresh Tracks'? 
I began drafting this post the day after the first proper snowfall in my temporary home in upstate NY.

I headed to a local park with a gorgeous 6-mile riverside loop the minute the plows were through.  Walked my gear to the trailhead, snow was untouched.  Fresh powder is usually a treat for downhill skiing and snowboarding, but for cross-country?  Not so much.  Little detail I'd forgotten.  My enthusiasm got the best of me.

The beauty of cross-country skiing is when you find your glide; smooth, rhythmic motion. The faster you go, the easier it feels.  Ten strides into my fresh powder ski and it's clear there will be no gliding today.  Instead, I'm creating my own tracks, lumbering along the riverside at a snail's pace, enjoying the sun and views, telling myself it's still a great day, just a different great.

That's exactly where I am today.  Creating fresh tracks, moving forward while navigating a lot of good zigs, interesting zags. Redefining 'wins', staying motivated and inspired. 

Mostly sunshine and roses and yes, a few thorns.  Keeping it real, here's a snapshot of my fresh tracks:

Yay!  

I've always been a glass-half-full gal, so let's start with the good stuff 👍
  • The sustainability community is phenomenal. The number of resources, collaboration groups, networking events is surreal.  And the energy?  Positive and supportive.  Making great connections with people across the globe on Terra.doWork on Climate and Open Door Climate.
  • I am learning a ton. I have an insatiably curious mind so I continue investing time to deepen my knowledge in key areas.  I am now GRI certified and begin a carbon accounting certification course next week.  Happy brain, sharper skills, more value add in my next role. 
  • Climate careers span a lot of functions, geographies and sectors.   My transformation and commercial background packs a lucrative punch and I'm excited to hear the increased focus on sustainability leaders creating new value.  The intersect between traditional ESG and commercial accountability is my sweet spot!
  • Ithaca, New York really is 'gorges' (IYKYK 😉)  Many new connections, some reconnections, all further fueling my excitement to get there full-time. This small city has a fun urban vibe and endless activities for outdoor enthusiasts.  
  • I'm dabbling in consulting, small turnkey projects with offers to do more.  Creating a new path?  Stay tuned.
  • Networking has been terrific and lucrative.  I'm grateful to my colleagues, new connections, and friends for opening new doors and the many candid conversations and recommendations.  Unsure how I'll repay all the kindness I've received, but I'll continue to try.
  • Lastly, my inner circle - you know who you are - have been simply wonderful.  Love you all 💚
Here are a few pics of Yay moments

Enjoying Harvest Day and meeting Suzanne Hunt, climate tech leader and 7th generation owner of Hunt Country Vineyards, one of Keuka Lake's few sustainable wineries



Ithaca frequently sends me little signs that I've made the right choice.  Downtown, the UU church wears its rainbows proudly.  



The city's composting program is a big hit.  The county Chamber of Commerce has an active directory and vetting process for women- and LGBTQ+-owned businesses.


My date at a Refill Bar?!  The owners of Scrappy's Workshop in Owego are launched this new zero waste concept. They're also part of a growing community who small business owners revitalizing the small downtown experience and bringing sustainable products to area consumers.  Love meeting owners with shared passion and making an impact.


"Ithaca is Gorges" - the city tagline courtesy of the dozens of shale gorges along the lake and city perimeter.  Hiking galore and the scenery never disappoints.


Huh?

You know those days that feel like you finished building your IKEA piece, found a leftover screw and can't figure out what you missed?  I've had a few of those, LOL
  • Employers and job seekers are definitely experiencing job spec growing pains.  I've been a hiring manager for over 15 years and it's interesting to see some of the formal education + tenure + salary combinations.  And mismatches. It's refreshing to hear industry pros leaning in to this and encouraging companies to be practical with musts versus wants.
  • Speaking of job specs....ChatGPT is the new wild west of job search. I'm dabbling and so far it's somewhat helpful, sometimes comical, very interesting.  Definite WIP.

Ugh

Sometimes stuff takes the wind right out of your sails. 👎 Fortunately it's a short list. 
  • The housing market! Yikes.  Tackling job and home transition simultaneously is a lot, and I was banking on the latter happening sooner.  Know someone ready to unload their downtown Ithaca bungalow? I'm your gal! 
  • The tougher one, and I'm hoping it's an outlier, was my first brush with ageism.  No doubt I'm making a bold change later in my career.  Two things I know:  what I bring to the table and the talent demand.  I still believe this could be the most age neutral, long-term lucrative profession rivaling healthcare, but a recent webinar raised doubts.  A fellow participant inquired about late stage career changers.  The speaker's response missed the mark with terms like "older people" and age-related generalizations.  It was an ugh moment, and by the looks of a few faces on screen, others also felt it.  I hope I haven't misread the career age tea leaves.  I'm confident in the value my tenure brings a business.  Wind back in sails!
All in all?  Pretty positive!  A lot of great vibes and momentum, a few head scratching days and a couple of things testing my resilience.  

It's definitely not perfect.  Would I love for some things to move faster, smoother?  Sure. 

Here's the thing.  I'm getting great traction. Having the right conversations with the right people and companies. Making all new tracks. As anti-glide as it may seem on occasion, it's progress.  And I'm learning a ton along the way.  

You know what happens after you make all those new tracks?  Next time around, you glide.

Cheers to all of you making fresh tracks.  Extra big thanks to those of you helping me navigate mine.

Please share feedback or suggestions and do stay in touch! You can reach me at drosplock10@gmail.com or on LinkedIn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to "At the Fork"

Keuka Lake is the fourth largest of 11 Finger Lakes located in western New York's wine region.  These glacier-formed lakes boast crystal clear water, shale shorelines and refreshing, swimmable water temps throughout the summer.   Despite having the good fortune of visiting dozens of cities and countries around the world, Keuka Lake remains my favorite destination. Keuka is Y-shaped.  Boaters journeying from the south shore in Hammondsport travel north to the Bluff, which you see in this picture.  In that regard, the Bluff serves as the lake's fork in the road.  Take the east branch past Keuka College to the quaint village of Penn Yan or cruise up the west branch past waterfront cafes and patches of steep hillsides and small gorges to Branchport. The Bluff is the marker for what's next in the journey, the excitement that something previously undiscovered awaits, and knowing at the end of the day regardless which direction I choose, I return to typical life a far happier, hea

Brazil on Earth Day: Iracambi Part 1

How did we jump from Port Chester, New York to Iracambi in Minas Gerais, Brazil? Late last year I held to my plan and notified my landlord that I would not be renewing my lease which ended in March.  Ironically, Informa and I agreed to end my temporary position also on March 31.  While I had a couple of tempting marketing-related options I could transition into, I held to this part of my plan, too. The next role would be majority sustainability-focused. I had two big life transitions hitting simultaneously.  This could have been an "oh shit" moment, but the universe was sending me good signals.  It's important to remember that I'm still bouncing back from a hellish couple of years.  Backsliding on any part of my plan felt like I was falling short.  Getting a safe job quickly, moving to another town as a temporary stop gap, would have felt like a loss.  I needed more stuff in my Wins column.  That's where Iracambi, Brazil, France, Spain and the rest of this crazy t