Skip to main content

Brazil on Earth Day: Iracambi Part 1


How did we jump from Port Chester, New York to Iracambi in Minas Gerais, Brazil?

Late last year I held to my plan and notified my landlord that I would not be renewing my lease which ended in March.  Ironically, Informa and I agreed to end my temporary position also on March 31.  While I had a couple of tempting marketing-related options I could transition into, I held to this part of my plan, too. The next role would be majority sustainability-focused.

I had two big life transitions hitting simultaneously.  This could have been an "oh shit" moment, but the universe was sending me good signals. 

It's important to remember that I'm still bouncing back from a hellish couple of years.  Backsliding on any part of my plan felt like I was falling short.  Getting a safe job quickly, moving to another town as a temporary stop gap, would have felt like a loss.  I needed more stuff in my Wins column. 

That's where Iracambi, Brazil, France, Spain and the rest of this crazy trip comes in.  I put my life into storage, opened a PO box in upstate NY and opted to take my goals and my personal regeneration journey on the road.  Continue deepening my sustainability knowledge through hands-on experiences and on-line learning; reconnect with nature; explore new cultures; network for new opportunities; all while sticking to a fitness regimen.  

Come back to the US in summer a smarter, fitter, more resilient Denise.

Thus, Iracambi.


Brazil had to be my first destination abroad.   This vibrant country, young democracy, keeper of our planet's lungs, thankfully now in a post-Bolsonaro era.  I'm a hopeless romantic.  If I was going to do any extended, immersive volunteer work, it had to be in Brazil.  

I searched for short stay volunteer programs and found the most options in Central and South America through Volunteer World.    I applied for a two week volunteer stay and was genuinely giddy when I learned I was accepted.  It was like a mini-college acceptance letter:  they wanted me!  (like I said, I needed more in the Wins column)

Iracambi is a NGO, Research Center and protected land about 15 miles outside of Rosario de Limeira, population ~4,000.   The primary focus is restoring the Atlantic Forests, about 93% of which has been lost to logging and farming.  In addition to forest restoration, the Center covers biodiversity, medicinal plants and hosts an Eco Leaders program for high school children. In Part 2 we'll get more into the incredibly important and impactful work the group is doing.  For now, we'll keep it light.

Fun fact: I dislike camping.  Hate spiders.  Hate snakes even more.  Very logical to assume this would be the last place you'd find me.  However, I generally love the outdoors and everything happening here, so I anticipate the rewards far outweigh the risks. So far, so good!

Back to the camp, as they call it, which includes a sapling nursery, research lab, office, outdoor cafe, medicinal plant garden, the main common cabin, and five other cabins for staff and volunteers. 

I arrived Sunday PM after an 8 hour journey from Rio and met Eduardo, the Volunteer Coordinator who took me through the basics.  Instant shock to the system; I was a wave of emotions and clueless, but I managed to get some sleep, avoid getting bitten by anything, and join the other volunteers Monday AM ready for coffee and my first assignment.  Enjoy a few pictures of the Center and surrounding property and I'll see you at the next post featuring machetes, cachoeiras, and wild cats.  Boa noite.💚  

Main entrance and cafe


Outdoor wood stove. Feijoada two days a week.  Yum


Entrance to sapling nursery and medicinal plant garden


Quarter mile before the entrance with Graminha Peak in the distance, apx 2K meters



Bananas everywhere, but beware the banana spider when you pick one!


Sapling beds: TLC without a PhD.  Just my speed.


View from one of the plantations in slightly higher elevation.


For cars, cattle and gutsy volunteers out for a jog.


A small cachoeira, or waterfall, near one of the biodiversity research plots. 



Comments

  1. Spectacular, is all I can say Denise. I am looking forward to following your journey, be well and stay safe. Paula November

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to "At the Fork"

Keuka Lake is the fourth largest of 11 Finger Lakes located in western New York's wine region.  These glacier-formed lakes boast crystal clear water, shale shorelines and refreshing, swimmable water temps throughout the summer.   Despite having the good fortune of visiting dozens of cities and countries around the world, Keuka Lake remains my favorite destination. Keuka is Y-shaped.  Boaters journeying from the south shore in Hammondsport travel north to the Bluff, which you see in this picture.  In that regard, the Bluff serves as the lake's fork in the road.  Take the east branch past Keuka College to the quaint village of Penn Yan or cruise up the west branch past waterfront cafes and patches of steep hillsides and small gorges to Branchport. The Bluff is the marker for what's next in the journey, the excitement that something previously undiscovered awaits, and knowing at the end of the day regardless which direction I choose, I return to typical life a far happier, hea

Fresh Tracks

  Welcome back! My last post marked the end of sabbatical life and the official kickoff to the next big milestones in my journey.  And what a journey it's been! Why 'Fresh Tracks'?   I began drafting this post the day after the first proper snowfall in my temporary home in upstate NY. I headed to a local park with a gorgeous 6-mile riverside loop the minute the plows were through.  Walked my gear to the trailhead, snow was untouched.  Fresh powder is usually a treat for downhill skiing and snowboarding, but for cross-country?  Not so much.  Little detail I'd forgotten.  My enthusiasm got the best of me. The beauty of cross-country skiing is when you find your glide; smooth, rhythmic motion. The faster you go, the easier it feels.  Ten strides into my fresh powder ski and it's clear there will be no gliding today.  Instead, I'm creating my own tracks, lumbering along the riverside at a snail's pace, enjoying the sun and views, telling myself it's still a